Chances are, you’ve met a few Karens in your time. You know the type: white, rude, entitled, often racist or homophobic, and the list of negative qualities go on. The name has become a moniker for the worst type of woman and now actual Karens who were born with the name have launched a petition to make it all stop.
‘We’re labelled as racist, entitled, anti-maskers and we’re just not that type of person and it’s just totally unfair!’
Three women called Karen tell us why they want people to stop using their name in a negative way.
— This Morning (@thismorning) August 3, 2020
1. TO BE FAIR, THAT’S A VERY KAREN THING TO DO.The fact that anyone with the actual name Karen would take the issue of being called a Karen so seriously almost proves the point. It’s really not that serious! No harm will come to Karens or their livelihood because of this, yet it didn’t stop Karen Masters from starting a petition calling for the press to stop using the term. LOL to that!ADVERTISING
2. SO WHAT EXACTLY IS THE ISSUE HERE?The description for the petition reads, “My name is Karen, and I’ve had enough of my name and my Karen friends being used to describe racist women in the tabloids. This also applies to all other names like ‘Susan’ to be described as a collection of terrible people in the media. Its [sic] unfair to use a name to describe a collection of woman [sic] who are racist or not law abiding. As a Karen this is upsetting and unfair.” I think it’s probably more upsetting and unfair to those who are at the other end of a Karen’s behavior, but sure, okay.
3. SPONSORED: THE BEST DATING/RELATIONSHIPS ADVICE ON THE WEB. Check out Relationship Hero a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes. Just click here…
4. MASTERS EVEN WENT ONTO BRITISH MORNING SHOW THIS MORNING TO DISCUSS THE ISSUE.“I just noticed a few memes and TikToks going on and, you know, it started off being quite funny… But then, when the BLM protests started, there was a lot of the media putting ‘Karens’ as racist… It took on a life of its own,” she lamented. “We can’t, as Karens, talk about how this is affecting us because we are told we are entitled if we do this. So, I set up the change.org just to show that, actually, this is not fair for us to have to put up with this.”
5. NEEDLESS TO SAY, THE PETITION DIDN’T DO WELL.Masters closed down the Karen petition when it had less than 1,000 signatures. In the meantime, her appearance on This Morning led her to being ruthlessly made fun of on social media, which is kinda mean but also sorta hilarious. Grow up, Karen(s)!